One minute this little girl was eating her lunch, then suddenly her parents watch in horror as she begins choking and turning blue. This remarkable video captured how a normal afternoon at a McDonald’s restaurant turned to a life-and-death battle – and the remarkable events that followed.
Watch the full video above.
What to do if an infant is choking:
1. Call triple zero (000) for an ambulance.
2. Place infant with head downwards
on your forearm
Support head and shoulders on your hand.
Hold infant’s mouth open with your fingers
3. Give up to five back blows with the heel of one hand to the back
between shoulders, checking if the airway obstruction is
relieved after each back blow.
4. Turn infant onto back, open mouth and
remove any loose foreign material with
your little finger.
5. If unsuccessful after five back blows.
Place infant on back on a firm surface, place two fingers in the CPR compression position and give 5 chest thrusts—slower but sharper
Check if obstruction has been relieved after
each chest thrust.
6. If infant becomes unconscious commence CPR
For more information about first aid courses, visit the St John Ambulance website