Summer’s extreme weather may be over, but the complications just keep coming. Thousands of new homes are cracking under the strain of shifting earth, and for many families it means broken dreams and a tough word from insurers.
STATEMENT FROM CLARENDON HOMES:
Reported damage to a Domaine Home, constructed at Lot 181, No. 25 Blenheim Court, Caroline Springs:
Clarendon Homes (Vic) Pty Ltd has assumed warranty obligations for all Domaine Homes constructed in Victoria and acknowledges the owner’s concerns and confirms its commitment to resolve the issue.
Our maintenance team have met with the owner, Mr Carnejo, on site and have inspected the damage and are in the process of recovering original documentation from archives in order to verify the original engineering design.
Furthermore Clarendon will engage a suitably qualified engineer to conduct a thorough geotechnical investigation of the house slab and surrounding to determine the cause of the damage.
We fully intend to honour our obligations to repair any damage caused by faulty design and/or workmanship.
MEADIA RELEASE FROM METRICON:
The issue of homes currently suffering from “slab heave” across the Melbourne building industry are well known. Metricon continues to work closely with any of its customers that are impacted as well as with other leading builders and building industry associations in understanding the causes of slab heave and developing solutions to the problem.
Metricon is deeply concerned for any customer experiencing issues with their home. We reassure every Metricon customer that we are here to assist and advise them at all times.
The issues of “slab heave” are always site specific and are often complex. Developing solutions involves individual investigations, diagnosing issues and then developing programs to remedy the causes of the movement in foundation systems. A series of actions over a period of 6-12 month period may be required.
The two customers contacted by A Current Affair are customers that are clearly experiencing issues with their homes. Both are customers we continue to work with. Both have further site inspections set for next week.
Metricon advises homeowners to understand their obligations regarding home care and in particular maintaining the footing systems of their homes. We refer them to our published materials and services in this area as well as to other publicly available materials on this subject.
A number of months ago, we created our own taskforce to examine a range of complex areas around this issue. The taskforce continues to work with and consult structural engineers, industry representatives (including HIA and MBA) and has conducted a review of current building practices. The taskforce has reviewed the current situation with all known cases of customers impacted by slab heave. Moreover, a range of new consumer education initiatives are in place to ensure customers are more fully aware and educated about their obligations.
Home Care Services:
Metricon wants to hear from any customer that believes they may be impacted by “slab heave”. We encourage them to contact our dedicated Home Care Service Line on 9542-4880.
We also direct them to www.metricon.com.au/homecare
Given our ongoing concern about this issue and its impact on our customers we have taken the following steps:
1. A dedicated home care service line has been established. Customers can contact this service and discuss any concerns they may have. The number is (03) 9542-4880 or via email to: email@example.com
2. A customer outreach program to key impacted areas within Melbourne is being designed and will commence later this month. We will be re-contacting as many customers as we can to discuss any concerns with them.
3. Any customer that wants a personal inspection of their home will get one as part of our ongoing commitment to all our customers.
4. Any home that requires action will receive a written personalised ongoing monitoring program including set dates for any future inspections and ongoing customer contact.
5. We continue to create new materials to educate customers on the key issues of home care and maintenance including important areas such as landscaping and drainage at their home.
6. Professional advice and guidance is available at all times to all our customers on required actions to address issues they may have at their homes.